Founded in 1957, Euro Coop was one of the first Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO) to be recognised by the European Commission. It has made its expertise available to all European Union Institutions for the promotion of the interests of consumer co-operatives and their consumer-members.
Euro Coop is the voice of the co-operative retailers in Europe. Our organisation brings together the national associations of consumer co-operatives in 19 European countries, which:
- represent 5,000 co-op entities on local/regional;
- employ 500,000 citizens across Europe;
- operate 36,000 points of sale,
- serve 32 million consumer-members daily.
Together, Euro Coop members are Europe’s strongest retail force – accounting for € 79 billion in annual turnover.
Today, Euro Coop represents and upholds the structure and ethics of consumer co-operative enterprises at European level. Our Secretariat achieves this mission, in particular, by its participation in different fora such as the Stakeholders Platform of the European Food Safety Authority "EFSA", various Advisory Groups, Working Groups, and Platforms within the European Commission, the European Retail Forum for Sustainability, the European Consumer Consultative Group "ECCG", among others. The Secretariat ensures that the voice of consumer co-operatives is well-represented within the workings of the European Parliament and via strong collaboration with the European Economic and Social Committee.
Our Association's Objectives:
- Promote and represent our members' interests to the European Institutions;
- Defend a responsible and ethical approach to food, sustainability and consumer issues at European level;
- Inform member organisations about European policies and initiatives that are relevant to their activities;
- Facilitate the exchange of information and coordination amongst our members;
- Contribute to the goals of the ICA Blueprint for a Co-operative Decade;
- Support young co-operators in the management of co-operatives.
Consumer Cooperatives Worldwide (CCW)
According to an agreement between Euro Coop and the International Co-operative Alliance (ICA), Euro Coop provides secretariat support to the work of Consumer Co-operatives Worldwide (CCW) - the global sectoral organisation for consumer co-operatives.
The Euro Coop Secretary-General is also that of CCW.