Co-operatives around the world are organised in different structures.
The International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) was founded in 1895. It is an independent, non-governmental organisation which unites, represents, and serves co-operatives worldwide. It is the largest non-governmental organisation in the world.
The ICA has three components: a Central office, based in Brussels, 4 Regional offices and 8 sectoral organisations.
a) ICA Regional Offices:
Euro Coop is a member of Cooperatives Europe, the European region of the Alliance.
b) ICA Sectoral Organisations:
- Consumer Co-operatives Worldwide (CCW)
- International Co-operative Agricultural Organisation (ICAO)
- International Co-operative Banking Association (ICBA)
- International Co-operative Fisheries Organisation (ICFO)
- International Health Co-operative Organisation (IHCO)
- Co-operative Housing International (CHI)
- International Co-operative and Mutual Insurance Federation (ICMIF)
- International Organisation of Industrial and Service Cooperatives (CICOPA)
Euro Coop provides the secretariat for CCW.
In addition, in Europe, co-operatives are organised in different sectors of activity. Euro Coop is the sectoral organisation for consumer co-operatives.
Other European sectoral organisations include: